Dry Fork was approved for inclusion into the National Register of Historic Places in 1998 and was placed on the registry in 1999. It is one of the oldest documented homes still standing in Wilcox County and is a fine example of late Federal style double–pile house form containing examples of folk versions of Federal style woodwork. It was constructed for James Asbury Tait during the years of 1832-1834 by carpenter/joiners Hezekiah and Elijah. Restoration of the home began in 1998 by Gail and James Edwin (Jim) Tait, great-great grandson of the builder. James Asbury Tait was born in 1791, the only child of Charles and Ann Lucas Tait to survive infancy. He grew up on his grandfather’s plantation in the Broad River country near Savannah, Georgia before coming to Alabama. All rooms are 18 feet square and with 11-foot ceilings downstairs and 8 ½ foot ceilings upstairs.
The floor plan specified that the house should have eight rooms with four on each floor. There are two porches on the front, although one appears to be a later addition since James Asbury Tait’s Memoranda does not mention it.. All rooms are 18 feet square and with 11-foot ceilings downstairs and 8 ½ foot ceilings upstairs. The original house required more than 25,000 board feet of cut lumber, and the roof was covered with 6,000 wooden shingles. The chimneys required 12,000 bricks, made from clay on the plantation. Gail and James Edwin (Jim) Tait, great-great grandson of the builder, have beautifully restored the original home just described, and have constructed majestic additions to the original structure. Appurtenances and gardens result in a one-of-a-kind property that one has to see to fully appreciate.
This home is located on CR 13 approximately 1/4 mile east of the intersection of CR 13 and Hwy 21 at Coy, AL (GPS Coordinates N31.901444,W87.360778).
This is a private residence – drive by only.