McWilliams-Cook Home

Circa 1851
Camden, Alabama

Inspired by the works of architect Samuel Sloan, this outstanding example of antebellum eclecticism was built in 1851 for Judge David W. Sterrett, lawyer, planter, and trustee of the Wilcox Female Institute. The veranda features four tall trellis-type supports, scroll-cut balustrades, and an unusual parapet. Red glass sidelights surround the front door. Other outstanding features include the spiral cantilevered stairways in the foyer, heavy decorative plasterwork in the symmetrical parlors, original gasoliers, and jib doors. In 1870, the home was sold to Richard Ervin McWilliams and wife Amelia Lindsay Coate.  This home has been in the McWilliams family for seven generations.  It is listed on the Alabama Register of Landmarks and Heritage. (information from www.ruralswalabama.org)

(GPS coordinates N31.992583,W87.298667)

Tags: