Archive | Wilcox History

RSS feed for this section

Camden – By: Margaret Walker, Black Belt Living Magazine

logo-red-gradient

Camden By Margaret Walker Black Belt Living Magazine   Imagine a place where exchanging pleasantries is the height of good manners, where friends and strangers alike welcome one another with a smile or quite possibly a “How do you do?” Where the traffic that leaves even the most saintly big city dwellers yowling under their […]

Canton Bend United Methodist Church

Canton-Bend-United-Mehtodist-Church

This small frame building which houses the Canton Bend Methodist Church, was constructed by church members during the early 1900’s.  It is situated adjacent to the old Canton Cemetery, within site of an earlier church, the Canton Cumberland Presbyterian Church.  The grave of Ann Smith, wife of Duncan C. Smith, the first Wilcox County Circuit […]

Wilcox Female Institute

Camden-AL-Wilcox-Female-Institute

The first school in Camden was built on the site of a block of brick stores now owned by Mrs. C. B. Jones’ heirs. Afterwards this school was closed and the Wilcox Female Institute was built and chartered. Later it was used as the county high school. This Institute was built according to authentic sources […]