The Bessie W. Munden Recreational Park was founded in 1959 and it is owned and operated by Bessie W. Munden Recreational Park, Inc. (BWMRP, Inc.). Located on the outskirts of Camden, Alabama in Wilcox County it is a public park, serving all citizens, with a special emphasis on the youth of our county. Munden Park […]
This small frame building which houses the Canton Bend Methodist Church, was constructed by church members during the early 1900’s. It is situated adjacent to the old Canton Cemetery, within site of an earlier church, the Canton Cumberland Presbyterian Church. The grave of Ann Smith, wife of Duncan C. Smith, the first Wilcox County Circuit […]
Built in the 1840′s, this Episcopal Church was later converted into a residence. It is located on Clifton Street, in Camden, Alabama. Photos taken in the 1930′s prior to the conversion from church to home.
The first school in Camden was built on the site of a block of brick stores now owned by Mrs. C. B. Jones’ heirs. Afterwards this school was closed and the Wilcox Female Institute was built and chartered. Later it was used as the county high school. This Institute was built according to authentic sources […]
The Wilcox County Courthouse was built in 1858 by Alexander J. Bragg, brother of the builder of the Bragg-Mitchell home in Mobile. The Greek Revival structure is known architecturally for its four massive Doric columns and balustrade wrought iron steps leading to the second floor central doorway. It is one of only six antebellum court […]